Swimming Lessons at SCSC
For the past twenty-five years, Stony Creek Swim Center has been offering the highest quality swimming lessons in Central Indiana. We have created a comfortable, nurturing environment with loving instructors. We strive to not only teach children the physical skills to navigate the water, but we want every child to develop a love and respect for the water that will contribute to their health and wellness for a lifetime. Download our New Enrollment Info Sheet sheet for information on policies and procedures at our year-round facility or SPLASH and 8-week Session New Enrollment Info sheet for more information on our summer programs.
Our Infant/Toddler lessons are a great way to spend time with your child and learn together. For your child, the classes are pure fun. For you, they are a wonderful way to take advantage of the unique manner in which water can strengthen relationships. We believe that a child is never too young to start swimming lessons, therefore we offer a FREE class for infants 4 weeks through 5 months. This is a wonderful way to help your child associate water with pleasure and fun – rather than fear and anxiety, in turn, developing a life-long love and respect of the water. Water Babies, Little Swimmers 1, 2, & 3 are infant/toddler classes and require that parents be in the water with their child.
- Ages 4 weeks to 3 years
- Parents are in the water with their child
- $80 a month per child for Little Swimmers 1-3
- $100 a month per child for Jellyfish
- Water Babies is free for children up to 6 months
- Classes meet once a week for 30 minutes
- 8:1 student-teacher ratio (Water Babies, Little Swimmers 1 & 2)
- 4:1 student-teacher ratio (Little Swimmers 3)
- 2:1 student-teacher ratio (Jellyfish)
- View our class schedule for days and times
We go above and beyond for the safety and education of your children. We keep a small student-to-teacher ratio of 4:1. This allows the teacher to work individually with each child as well as with the group. Small class size results in more time-on-task, which is vital to motor skill development. Our small group classes start with the most basic skills for younger swimmers and progress up to higher levels which focus on stroke technique and building endurance. Small group levels include Angelfish, Puffer Fish, Clown Fish, Turtles, Whales, & Dolphins.
We offer three competitive stroke levels designed for swimmers who are interested in swimming on a team. Our focus is on proper stroke technique while building endurance.
- Ages 6+ years old or completed our Dolphins class
- $80 a month per child
- Classes meet once a week
- Length of these classes varies from 30 to 60 minutes
- 6-8:1 student-teacher ratio, based on class
- View our schedule for class days and times
- Offered in June & July only
- Angelfish through Dolphins
- $160 per session, eight 30-minute lessons
- Two-week sessions meet Monday through Thursday for two weeks.
- Eight-week session meets once a week for eight weeks.
- Carmel – View our schedule for class days and times
- Legends – View our schedule for class days and times
SCSC is one of the only programs in the area that has classes specifically designed for fearful, older beginner swimmers and adults. These classes are run similarly to our small group classes, however the skills and daily structure is tailored to the needs of the students.
- Children age 4+ who are fearful or terrified (Crabs 1 & 2)
- Adults, typically age 15 and up
- $80 per month, once a week for 30 minutes
- Private, semi-private, and group lessons
- View our schedule for class days and times
At Stony Creek Swim Center, our curriculum develops proper stroke technique and fundamental swimming skills. We use the ‘rollover’ method of breathing in our lessons. From six months of age, students are taught to rollover onto their back to float, relax, and get a breath. This method is taught primarily in our small pool and may be used as a review in our big pool. Once the student has mastered the rollover, we shorten this movement to a half of a rollover which is the proper method of rhythmic breathing. You will see our instructors using a ‘1,2,3, Breathe’ method to cue students on breathing. Students are taught to breathe on the same side after every other pull. In our higher levels, they will be taught to alternate sides to get their breath. Our classes are all geared toward helping children be safe around water. Floating, treading water, and safety jumps are all taught in order to provide children with resources to help themselves should they ever fall into water. We believe it is important to keep your child in swimming lessons until they can adequately swim a lap of each stroke. Learning should be fun, repetition is key, consistency is a must, and swimming is not only fun… it’s a necessity!