All students will be evaluated in their regular classes. Students will be evaluated on the skills taught in their current level. All students are evaluated using the same scale;
- Mastered – The student has proper technique for that level and their developmental stage and is able to perform the skill consistently when asked to do so (min. of 4 classes in a row).
- Developing – The student has a clear understanding of the skill, but their technique or style needs work. The student may not be developmentally ready to perform the skill. The student does not perform the skill consistently.
- Introduced – The student is just beginning to work on the skill. They have done it once or twice in class, but not often enough to do it independently.
Instructors will complete report cards for each student and they will be handed out the following week (4/17-4/22). The instructor will put the student’s “Recommended Level” on the report card. If it is recommended that the student stay in their current level, it will say “Same Level.” If the student is being promoted, the instructor will write the new level on the report card. If the student is promoted, it is the parent’s responsibility to take the report card to the office and find a new class. At times an entire class is promoted and we make the decision to change the class level, rather than have the student’s change classes. If this happens, we will notify parents. Otherwise, please see the office if your child is promoted!
Evaluation Week Guidelines
- If a child is absent from their regular class, we cannot guarantee they will be evaluated. Instructors do their best to evaluate absent students, but it is not always possible. Therefore, we ask that parents make every effort to attend lessons during evaluations.
- Evaluating students takes the entire class, so please try to arrive a little early so the instructor can start class quickly and have the entire 30 minutes to work with the students.
- We do not evaluate Water Babies or Little Swimmers 1, since they are age-specific levels. Students in these levels will receive a certificate of completion when they reach the appropriate age to be promoted.
- The office and Deck Supervisors cannot tell you if your child will be promoted. This decision is left up to the instructors. The instructors do not bring their report cards in until the day they are handed out, so we are unable to hand them out early or tell you if your child is being promoted.
- If there is a problem or concern with your child’s report card, please bring it to the office. Our instructors are human and sometimes make mistakes, this means they may put the wrong letter on a skill. If you are worried, please come see us! We will always do everything in our power to fix mistakes!
- If you do not get your child’s report card the week after evaluations, stop by the office the next time you are in for class. Report cards that are not picked up after evaluations will be kept for two weeks.
- We do not offer make-ups in regular classes during evaluations. If you need to schedule a make-up, it will have to be scheduled for April 17th or later. We do have a special make-up day on Saturday, April 22nd. If you would like to schedule your student, please call our office.